Thursday, August 2, 2012

Man's Best Friend

"The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog." - George Graham Vest 


In case you were wondering where the saying ever came from. 


Now, onto my story .... 
Most of y'all know about my dog Lucy.  I adopted her as a puppy from friend of friend's parents about five years ago.  Lucy and I have walked along the beach, climbed mountains, visited Mount Rushmore, traveled across the United States and back.  Needless to say we were thick as thieves.  That is until Wesley. 


Lucy and Wesley have taken their relationship to a level.  The first occurrence of this new "Mommy is not the only one I listen to activity" happened a couple of months ago.  Wes and I were outside and I wanted Lucy to come with us on our errand.  Wes wanted her back in the house.  In the midst of us calling / telling Lucy to come here / go back into the house.... Lucy went back into the house.  I was shocked.  Floored.  Lucy HAS ALWAYS listened to me over someone else.  I couldn't believe what had just happened.  Of course, Wes was just all smiles and just thought he was something else.  I decided it was best to move on from this moment and not dwell on what just happened. 


Since this time I have started to notice how Lucy and Wes interact.  She goes to him when she wants to go out, when she is hungry, when she wants to play, when she wants to talk (yes Lucy talks to you) .... Are we starting to see a trend here?  Someone has a new best friend and it's not me.  


All and all, I see this as a very good thing.  Wes and Lucy clearly love each other... even if neither one of them listen to me anymore.  Plus, I have Ethel.  She listens to me ... what I am talking about, no she doesn't.  




Lucy and Wes on a day hike in the NC Mountains - just the two of them. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment