Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Meeting of the Parents



The meeting of the parents is always a unique experience... especially when you come from two different worlds. Let me start by saying I assumed our dinner was going to go down like Meet the Fockers.

My Mom and Step Dad are New Yorkers. My mother hails from Brooklyn - she may have lived in Raleigh for close to 20 years, but she sounds like she never left. And Lord knows anything that comes into her mind comes out of her mouth. No filter, but one of the things I love about her (probably because I am the same way).

Wes's Mom and Step Dad are Southerns. Wes's Mom grew up in Burlington. When people ask me what she is like - I have one answer ... if Paula Deen had a daughter, she would be it. She is sweet, southern, and feisty.

Sooo needless to say if anything the language barrier would be an issue. I'm joking - I'm joking. (sort of...haha) Everything went fabulous.

Honestly, the dinner went really well! Everyone had a wonderful time, there was laughing, talking and hardly any awkward movements that lasted longer then twenty seconds. It was very reassuring to know that after all my fear and hesitation of the anticipated event was completely unnecessary!


1 comment:

  1. jjeeezz my mother in law is just like paula! that's awesome you describe wes's mother the same way :)

    ReplyDelete