Sunday, February 26, 2012

That's Amore


When the stars make you drool
Joost-a like pasta fazool
That's amore
When you dance down the street
With a cloud at your feet, you're in love
When you walk in a dream
But you know you're not dreamin', signore
'Scusami, but you see
Back in old Napoli, that's amore


Last Thursday night, I was inspired by my Italian roots and one of my patients. My patient was from Italy and lived in New York for many years before retiring with his wife to Winston-Salem. So needless to say, I was like his long lost grandchild and we were lucky enough I had him for five nights. Our favorite conversations revolved around Our State magazine and food. He convinced me I could make my Grandfather's pasta sauce again and not fail, same for my meatballs. He had me so convinced, I decided on Thursday, why not, let's give it another go. I hail from great Italian ancestors, it's in my blood...well 25% of my blood. (Perhaps that's why my meatballs went astray last time....)
Well lets just say the confidence he gave to me is just what I needed because my sauce was amore.

My Grandpa sent me the recipe for the sauce. The recipe consisted of four items written down a piece of paper. No quantity, no instructions. When I called Grandpa to ask for further instruction, he goes, "Eh, you put a little of this with that, you sauté this, and you will know." Oh, okay. But, I must say, you do... when creating your sauce, it is different every time. Allowing the flavors to simmer and give them time to come to life, ie you need patience.

I made homemade meatballs as well .... my darling meatballs tasted fabulous, however they had some issues sticking together once in the sauce. Next time, more eggs will be used. The meal was completed by a pound cake with fruit.

Now, in even more Italian fashion, a meal like this is best shared with friends and family. Even better when Wes has purchased a new toy. Wes enlisted the help of his friends John and Jamie to help move this 300 lb beast into our basement.
So who better to share an Italian meal with, then three hungry boys?

No comments:

Post a Comment